The 81st annual Academy Awards will be held on Sunday, February 22nd. The nominations will be announced this coming Thursday, January 22nd. However, that popular Oscar barometer -- the Golden Globes -- has already had its say, so it's time for us to get busy on seeing, debating, and predicting the anticipated antics of our favorite golden boy!
For the record, 2008 was a slow year for us as far as getting out to the cinema. As we prepare our guesses for the big night, here's what we had already seen by December 31st:
- Blade Runner: The Final Cut, 25th anniversary re-release (no Oscar connection)
- The Forbidden Kingdom
- Iron Man
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls
- Batman: The Dark Knight
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- The Mummy III: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
- Burn After Reading
- A Fistful of Brains (zombie movie made by one of our friends and starring another friend)
- Bond: Quantum of Solace
- The Day the Earth Stood Still
- The Spirit
So, mostly right up the alley of our usual fare. We'll see how that does for us when the noms come out. In the meantime, we're cramming...thank goodness for holiday weekends!